Welcome to your new look!
We hope you are delighted with the way your new extensions have transformed your style. To keep them looking ‘salon fabulous’ it is important that you follow our simple maintenance and aftercare routine.
Racoon is a unique hair extension system using 100% human hair. Racoon is the quickest, safest and easiest system to use when you want a new look. However, having your hair extensions applied to your hair is not the end of the process. Maintenance is an important factor to extend the life of your extensions. We recommend that you allow a little extra time each day to care for your new hair. You may find your extensions will feel a little uncomfortable at first, but once you get used to wearing and maintaining your new look. The results will be well worth it!
Looking After Your Extensions
Using your Racoon Brush
The Racoon brush is specifically designed for hair extensions, with air-cushioned rubber pad for gentle control, allowing you to brush your extensions ends to roots with ease.
- Never brush the hair when it is wet and do not use a fine tooth comb.
- Start at the ends of the hair and work your way upwards, holding each section just above where you are brushing. When you get close to the roots put your hand over the bonds to support them.
- After shampooing or whenever the hair is wet, only use a wide tooth comb to remove tangles; do not use a brush.
BEFORE SHAMPOOING YOUR HAIR
For the first shampoo you must return to the salon, it is vital that this is done by your Racoon specialist. This way you will learn the correct techniques that are essential for the care and maintenance of your hair extensions.
The following information will provide you with helpful advice to assist you in maintaining your hair with total confidence.
Shampooing a full or partial head of extensions may take longer. Take your time and do not rush – you may be surprised by the extra weight at first.
- Separate the bonds and ease out any tangles using the Racoon brush
- Wet the hair – ideally in the shower
- Apply Racoon Xtend Shampoo to wet hair
- Gently massage the scalp with your fingertips, using a light up and down motion (avoid circular motions as these can cause tangles or matting)
- Rinse thoroughly, loosening the hair at the roots ensuring all product is removed and repeat if necessary.
Once you have shampooed the scalp area gently squeeze excess moisture from hair.
- Apply Racoon Xtend Conditioner to mid-lengths and ends
- Using your fingers gently smooth the conditioner through, use a wide tooth comb to help remove tangles
- Rinse thoroughly
Warning – Only Racoon Xtend products should be used on Racoon hair as using other products, especially conditioners enriched with protein, can result in matting.
- Gently pat hair dry, do not rub or use any vigorous motion
- Apply Extra Professional 000 leave-in moisturiser to mid lengths and ends, to maintain lustre and bounce. (Ask your stylist for ideal amount to apply)
- Separate the hair into sections and using a wide tooth comb to distribute product.
Vigorous brushing or using a fine comb when your hair is wet will cause tension on the extension hair resulting in tangling and matting. Only use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to remove tangles.
AFTER SHAMPOOING AND CONDITIONING
Drying and Styling
- Lightly apply Racoon Xtend Thermal Defence to mid-lengths and ends.
- Remove moisture from the scalp area around the bonds.
- If blow drying separate hair into sections.
- Be gentle – excessive tension can cause loss of hair extensions. Always support the bonds with your hand
- Avoid getting styling products on and under the bonds
- To prevent damage and frizziness, apply Racoon Xtend Serum to mid-lengths and ends when the hair is dry.
- Curling tongs and straightening irons can be used on the natural hair, but avoid applying excessive heat to the bonds themselves as they may soften and distort
- Only use thermostatically controlled equipment
At least once a day you will need to separate your extensions. Starting at the roots, make sure that each bond is separated from the ones next to it, then work your way down the hair. After approximately 4 weeks or so, as the hair grows down, natural matting will occur. This is where several bonds will begin locking together if they are not separated daily.
To prevent your hair from matting while you sleep, we suggest that you tie your hair in a low, loose plait or ponytail. Avoid using uncovered elastic bands as this will matt the hair. We recommend sleeping on a silk pillowcase as the hair glides over the silk without tangling.
BEYOND THE DAY TO DAY
We recommend that you return to your Racoon stylist a minimum of once a month for a maintenance visit. Some of the bonds may need removing and replacing, and new bonds may need to be added. This “monthly rotation” is a method preferred by most clients and stylists as it means you can carry on wearing your extensions for longer.
The great thing about Racoon Hair Extensions is that you can continue to colour your natural hair as normal. We do not recommend any colour changes to your hair extensions as certain colour products can damage extension hair. Discuss this with your Racoon stylist for professional advice.
Hair on Holiday
Your extensions need to be applied at least two weeks before you go away so you can get used to looking after them. Sea, sun and chlorine can leave extensions looking dull, tangled and dry, so it is vital that you apply Extra Professional 000 leave-in moisturiser. We recommend applying this at least twice daily.
We strongly advise that you place a swimming cap on your head to protect your hair extensions from getting wet. Swimming can matt the hair. Long hair can be worn in high bun, tied back or plaited. Secure the hair with several scrunchies – do not use uncovered elastic bands as these will tangle in the hair.
Just like your skin and your natural hair, extensions will need protection from the sun. Keep Extra Professional 000 leave in moisturiser with you and apply it to the mid-lengths and ends, avoiding the bonds. A guideline is to use it as often as you apply your skin sunscreen. Wearing a hat will also prevent your hair from drying out.
REMOVING YOUR EXTENSIONS
Racoon’s unique bond formula has been specifically designed to meet the needs of the hair extension industry. The unique formula contains a blend of synthetic polymers with orange peel and pine kernel extract, providing the perfect balance between strength, durability and ease of removal.
If maintained correctly, your extensions should last for approximately three months (varies due to natural hair growth). After this time the bonds will have ‘grown down’ sufficiently for the extensions to require removal and reapplication.
Well maintained extension hair can be reapplied, although the bonds and ends will need trimming so you will lose some length. Natural shedding will also occur so you may need to buy a little extra hair to maintain the look you require.
If you plan to have your extensions reapplied on a regular basis, it would make sense that you visit your Racoon stylist to order some additional hair for ‘top up’ purposes, or to increase length. This should be done before the removal to allow time for new hair to be ordered and delivered.
Your Racoon stylist will be available to give you help and advice throughout the life of your hair extensions. If you have any questions about maintaining your extensions, simply ring your Racoon stylist or make an appointment to come in so that we can keep you on track with your home care programme.
For additional advice on maintaining your hair extensions consult your Racoon stylist.
“At Racoon we set standards others aspire to”